$(document).ready() will not fire consistently in Safari (and I believe FF3)
unless you load all the external CSS stylesheets before your JS scripts.

and see if that doesn't resolve the issue.

There's been talk about making it a requirement that in order for the jQuery
$.ready event to work properly, you must load all external CSS first.

-Dan