This is the concrete situation for which I cannot find a solution:

I have several 'select' elements which contain information like: country,
state, town.
<select size="1" name="country">[...]</select>
<select size="1" name="state">[...]</select>
<select size="1" name="town">[...]</select>
When a country is selected, I populate all the states of the country in the
state 'select'
by an ajax request, then when a state is selected, I populate all the towns
of the selected state in the town 'select'

A user can also select a town by typing in an input field with
auto-completion.
If he chooses a town among the auto-completion item list,
I want to select automatically the appropiate country/state/town in the
above select elements.
(When he chooses an item in the autocompletion list, I have the country,
state and town)

function selectTown(country, state, town) {
        $('#country').val(country);
        $('#country').change(); // <- this will load the states in the select
        // once the country has been selected
        // and select element containing states has been populated, then do
        // $('#state').val(state);
        // $('#state').change();
}