I agree that a spec is a spec.  The problem is rigidly adhering to it will
break to rest of the specs that work along side the html specs to produce
the intended result in the presentation layer.  I too had to change the way
I assigned id's to accommodate css and js that used css selectors.  If
anyone wants to use periods, they should feel free, but I doubt the css and
javascript communities will feel obligated to accommodate them.  No offense
meant whatsoever, I had the same issue.

--
Christopher Thatcher