I'm no expert on this, but I have a feeling you may have better luck
in Flash for this purpose.

Or maybe find a generic brightness setting that's good for all the
images and just to a batch process on them and re-upload.

Not an idea solutions, but I don't think any Javascript (that I know
of anyway) will be able to manipulate pixels in an existing image.