Here's the long answer:

http://rdworth.org/blog/2008/10/jquery-plugins-and-jquery-ui/

The short answer is, yes, you need both jQuery and jQuery UI. With the jQuery
UI Download Builder <http://ui.jquery.com/download_builder/> you can create
a custom version of jQuery UI that includes only the plugins you want. In
your case, Tabs. Tablesorter is not a jQuery UI plugin (though it once was)
so you'll have to include the script for it separately, like any other
jQuery plugin script. So your final result will look something like this

<script type="text/javascript" src="jquery-1.2.6.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.tablesorter.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.ui.js"></script>

That last one (jquery.ui.js) could be created by the download builder to
include only UI Core and UI Tabs.

- Richard

Richard D. Worth
http://rdworth.org/