Heh.  I like that -- the Code Jihad.

I agree 100% about failing silently being a BAD THING(tm).

However, our disagreement involves what constitutes a fail.

The only thing we've been trying to say is, an empty result set is only a
fail under certain circumstances.

To define an empty result set is a fail EVERY TIME is to limit the
underlying system.

Going back to the SQL analogy -- I have a data layer that performs a delete
like this:

DELETE FROM Table WHERE PrimaryKey = @KeyValue
SELECT @RowCount = @@ROWCOUNT

The app that calls the delete function will get a return value of how many
rows were deleted.

Maybe 0 rows is a fail, maybe it isn't.  It depends on what I'm trying to
do.

I have a choice to fail the program after the delete.

It would be wrong to require a SQL Exception thrown on every case of 0 rows
deleted.

Savvy?
JK