They usually document what the ajax call provides to the server (and
should).  I finally sorted it out enough to get it to work.  The value
entered in the textfield is passed along as a parameter named 'q'.
The write up had mentioned the 'id' attribute of the field, leading me
to think the value would be sent as a parameter named the same as the
id, which seemed logical at the time.  But it wasn't working.
Actually I found I was able to append '?name=value' to the first
parameter in the .flexbox() and thus give two flexboxes a 'dependent'
behavior (2nd one limiting results to a subset of values based on the
value in the 1st one).