There's no need for all this ranting. You're simply not meeting the
markup requirements to make the tabs work.

A tab has to look like:

I m pretty sure the documentation is showing this fact and I don't
understand why you took "straight code out of the example" and then
changed it to not work. Indeed "Nowhere in
the docs does it say you need to add code to show the first default
tab and
div." because you don't need to as long as you're using the proper
markup.

--Klaus