I got feedback privately complaining about my example.

I'd chosen to just use the plugin page (with a minor edit) to
demonstrate the problem without wasting people's time on potential CSS
causes, since the problem also manifests using the demonstration page.
I should have done a better job explaining my rationale.

Since that approach has proven confusing for some folks, I've created
a stripped-down version, visible at
http://sandbox.skulljackpot.com/superfish-stripped.html

The second menu item begins highlighted. If you inspect it, you can
see that the sfHover class has been added by superfish (which is
great, and what we want). Notice that if you mouse over any of the
other menu items which have submenus, the sfHover class is removed
from the original item, and added to the menu item you've hovered
over. This is also desired / expected behavior.

Now hover over the rightmost menu item. Notice that the sfHover class
is not removed from the originally-selected menu item, and two top-
level menu items appear highlighted simultaneously.

The desired behavior is for sfHover to be removed from all top-level
menu items when mousing over *any* sibling (regardless of whether
there's a child <ul> element), while preserving how the "current" item
is treated (namely, that the top-level menu item in that chain gets
sfHover added upon initialization, as well as when no menu items are
being moused over).

Chris