Thanks Jorn. Since I wrote I've been looking at the additional-
methods.js to get ideas on how to write some custom filter and found
this example:

class="{required:true,vinUS:true}"

Is that object syntax required when using custom filters as opposed to
simply

class="required vinUS"?

re: "where no parameters are needed" I assume you can't do something
like this:

class="required:true,minlength:2"?