There are two simple ways of fixing this: having a hidden span or similar
element appearing within your td prior to the value or better to define your
own parser.

e.g.
  $.tablesorter.addParser({
    id: "commaNum",
    is: function(s) {
      return /^[\d-]?[\d,]*(\.\d+)?$/.test(s);
      },
    format: function(s) {
      return s.replace(/,/g,'');
      },
    type: 'numeric'
    });

aquaone
(yes, you could use a more precise regex...)