It has worked for me by just setting a single value in the CSS and using a single value in the animate function; as I said, the only issue I encountered was that FF, Chrome & Safari "jumped" as if I'd simply set the value.

Maybe that's related to what you're seeing, but it "works" on some level without giving an error

Liam

Jason Persampieri wrote:
The problem occurs when trying to determine the 'start' value.
getComputedStyle explodes 'padding' into its four individual
components.  If you want to animate padding (or margin), you either
have to specify each one in the first argument, or explicitly set the
initial padding on the element (as opposed to via a stylesheet).