Neat idea. I think you could use this and give each LI a letter class ( class="d" ), then use it to scroll to that LI:

http://demos.flesler.com/jquery/scrollTo/

- Jack

Dave Joyce wrote:
I'm trying to figure out a good way to approach this.

Basically here's a shot of what's needed.
http://stuff.exit42design.com/grabup/475e4d0e25eaf92eefcecdd23af0b0c6.png

It's an alphabetical list of letters down the left column. When you hover
over those letters, a list in a block on the right side (with overflow
hidden) moves up or down to the letter that's being hovered over. It's sort
of reminiscent of the iPhone alphabetical list on the right side of the
screen.

I was thinking of creating the letters with anchors to the list as you would
see on a normal html page. The question is, how can I tell the content
within the div to move up or down? How do I know how far to have it move?