I'm assuming you posted an example list and the real list does contain a tags? I'm also assuming you are running that script with a document ready handler?

osu wrote:
Thanks Liam, but that's not working...

Not sure why .click is in your example? Am I right in thinking by
adding .parents to the end of each tag in your example that you're
'going down' different levels in the unordered list?

This is what I have:

$("li a").click(function(){
        $(this).parents("ul").parents("li").addClass("nav-selected");
});

Any ideas what's going wrong?