jQuery is based on "find something -> do something".  The "find something"
is largely done with selectors (similar to CSS selectors).

you want to find the element with the id="test".  that would be $('#test')

you want it to do something when that element receives a blur event...

$('#test').blur(); <-- that's the event, but it's not doing anything yet.
To do something, pass a function to the blur():

$('#test').blur(function() { });

which, when fleshed out a little more, might look like:

$('#test').blur(function() {
     alert('I just got blurred!');
});

While inside these "inner functions", you have a handle on the element that
triggered it.  It's referred to as $(this).  You can also use "plain ol'
javascript" and use 'this' (no quotes).  Depends on what you're doing with
it.

$('#test').blur(function() {
     alert(this.id);
     alert($(this).attr('id'));  // they do the same thing
});

Most of this (if not all of it) is covered in the docs.

http://docs.jquery.com/ and http://docs.jquery.com/How_jQuery_Works