On Oct 25, 4:37 pm, Giovanni Battista Lenoci <gian...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> nick ha scritto:> <select id="one">
> >    <option value="1" selected>one</option>
> >    <option value="2">two</option>
> >    <option value="3">three</option>
> > </select>
>
> The right syntax is :
>
> <option value="1" selected="selected">one</option>

Only if the OP is serving XHTML as XHTML, which is rare on the web. If
the markup is being served as HTML (which covers the vast majority of
web pages) then what the OP posted is valid markup.

> > If there is no "selected" then it always defaults to first value. How
> > can I tell if the page has loaded and no options have been selected?

The selectedIndex value of the select element will be -1:

> This is the way the select element works, there is always a selected
> element, even if you don't interact with the element.

There is no requirement for an option to be selected by default:

therefore you should not expect that one will be. It is prudent to
include the selected attribute for the option that should be selected
by default, even if it's the first one, as suggested by the HTML
specification:

--
Rob