I am new to both JQuery and Javascript. I write mostly in PHP. I have
a wordpress installation, and would like to add a page with dynamic
areas. If I hover the mouse over area1, the text in area2 will change
and the image in area3 will change.

Typically, this is the function I would write for something like this:

$(document).ready(function(){
    $('#area1').moveover(function(){
         $('#area2').html('my new text.');
         $('#area3').html('<image src="image.jpg">');

HTML code:

But this is woordpress, so, gather that step1 is activate JQuery, and
I do that by including the following in the head section of the
theme's header.php file:

<?php
        wp_enqueue_script('jquery');
?>

What's next? where does my function go? in the page itself, or inside
the header.php file?