Andrei, I think you've hit it!

I really don't quite understand the quirksmode material as well as you
veteran programmers, but I can tell this is the crux of the issue and
how to handle it. It has to do with handling fromElement and
relatedTarget.

Do you think you could assist with this in order to derive the proper
mouseover/mouseout jquery syntax indcorporating the relatedTarget and
fromElement properties described in quirksmode?

Here is a portion of the quirksmode article that is discussing the
issue:

\
Cross–browser scripts

So if you want to know where the mouse comes from in case of
mouseover, do:

function doSomething(e) {
        if (!e) var e = window.event;
        var relTarg = e.relatedTarget || e.fromElement;
}

If you want to know where the mouse goes to in case of mouseout, do: