I'm just starting to play with jQuery and, like everyone before me,
I'm amazed by it's power.

In short, my question is about cloning an object, manipulating it in
multiple steps and and then appending it to a list.

I have an li on my page containing several divs (a user avatar and a
couple lines of text).  I wanted to clone that item (rather than
building a whole lot of HTML in strings), change the avatar URL and
some of the text then append the new object to a list.

I see that I can do this:
  var entry = $("#userlist > li").clone();
  $(entry).appendTo("#userlist");

However, entry has several divs that I'd like to manipulate between
cloning and appending.  Is there a way to use selectors to get those
divs, manipulate them within "entry"?

Entry is a jQuery so I thought I could do something like entry
(".avatar")... or something but that's not right.

Your guidance would be appreciated!