I ran into the same problem as Ken.

Calling $("#form").validate().form() would yield true, even when the remote
validation should have been failing.  The problem is...

(1) When calling .validate.form() -- it returns prematurely with the status
of "pending" for all remote validation rules.

(2) After the call to .validate.form() -- the validating ajax call returns
with the proper status; however, at this point, it's too late.  Even calling
.validate.form() twice will not work, as the code checks each value against
the previous value.

Ken's solution fixed my problem, but I would love to see it included in the
jquery validation package.  I love this plugin and I appreciate all of the
hard work that went into it.

Many thanks,
Adam