Yes, there is something in jquery.cluetip that will cause this. It binds event handlers to every single element you specify in the selector. The clueTip plugin is not a viable solution for thousands of tooltips on a page.

I recently wrote a series of posts on learningjquery.com about one way to handle such a large number of tooltips. Here is the latest n the series:

http://www.learningjquery.com/2009/12/using-settimeout-to-delay-showing-event-delegation-tooltips

--Karl

Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com