This is a message to Jörn Zaefferer with respect to his autocomplete
plugin:

[This question was previously posted on StackOverFlow]

I am using the autocomplete functionality from JQuery and am having a
small problem. I have a div element with some text and a variable
number of input boxes that have autocomplete functionality. When a
user clicks on the text in the div element, the input boxes are
removed. Clicking on the text toggles between showing the input boxes
and not showing the input boxes. With each text click a php script is
called that returns new html text for the div element.

The autocomplete inputs are created with php code similar to the
following:

php code:

echo "<id='a' value='Smith' autocomplete='off'>";
echo "<script type=\"text/javascript\">$('a').autocomplete
('do_name_lookup.php',{minChars:3,max:999});</script>";
echo "<script type=\"text/javascript\">$('a').result(function(event,
data, formatted) {alert(data[0])});</script>";

On a static web page the two "script" statements would appear in the "$
(document).ready" function. Since my page is dynamic, however, the
input boxes are created a long time after the "$(document).ready" has
fired. Therefore, I have to execute the javascript code just after
each of the input boxes is made. This setup works fine the first time
the php code above is executed, but the second time the code is
executed, the autocomplete functionality goes away.

Can anyone explain to me why this is happening and how to work around
it? My suspician is that I am declaring a variable with the same name
multiple times and this is creating a conflict of some type.

Further refinement of question:  The problem (autocomplete stops
working) occurs when I dynamically remove an element (e.g., a table
row that contains an autocomplete input item) from my page.

It seems to me that I must unbind the input element, "a" in the
example above, but I am not sure how to do this properly.