Hi,

I'm not sure what DBMS you are using but most can sort many ways. You
may want to read your DBMS manuals and look for a natural sort method.
MySQL uses something like ORDER BY <column_name> NATURAL ASC or ORDER
BY <column_name> NATURAL DESC. Somewhere on the net should be an old
thread about sorting mixed numbers and alpha characters in MySQL. Try
Googling the topic. If the DB can handle the sort for you, you'll save
time and network traffic. Unless you really need to be able to sort
this on the client side.

Hope this helps

Randy

--
If you ask me if it can be done. The answer is YES, it can always be
done. The correct questions however are... What will it cost, and how