Looks like the problem is OS-specific. In Ubuntu 9.10, for example,
there is an option that is enabled by default in the user's keyboard
preferences
which causes key-holds to simulate multiple key-presses. Turning this
off results in the expected behavior. On Windows, the default behavior
is for key-holds to behave like key-holds so no problem exists.

Any suggestions for normalizing behavior across platforms?

Keith