Hi,

We had some network problems on friday, and I didn't get any answer so
I'm not sure my message got to the list, so I'm sending it again, just
in case. I apologize if it got and you are reading this for the second
time.
After overcoming my problems with the "import" directive (thanks to
everybody who answered) I'm trying to play now with the "extends"
directive. I implemented a class that is to be used in the extends
directive and I followed the SPC 1.0, but these are the problems I
encountered. I'm using JSWDK-1.0ea with Apache 1.3.6 and Apache JServ
1.0.

.- First of all, the example they provide has some spelling mistakes but
that's no problem because they are very easy to fix.
.- My first compilation error told me that the class generated from the
.jsp page should be abstract because it didn't implement the jspInit and
jspDestroy methods. I  just created an empty version of them in my
HttpSuperJspPage and then it compiled to the next step. That's not a bug
but just something that it could/should be updated in the example of the
specification. I guess they didn't try to compile their own examples
with their engine ;).
.- After that, the compilation error I'm given is that I don't have an
appropiate constructor: Wrong number of arguments in constructor:
super("", true, 8192, true);
Well, nowhere in the spec it's specified that you need to have such a
constructor, I guess that's something specific to their own
implementation called HttpJspBase. I provided such a constructor
but what am I supposed to do with those values??? They were suspiciously
similar to the parameters you need to get the PageContext, so I used
them for that.
.- The other compilation errors I'm given are that I haven't declared an
object called pageContext. Well, again, nothing in the spec told me to
do so and even
though I have been able to guess/learn from the spec where my class is
expected to get this object from, I think this should be clarified
somewhere or put in the jspInit method of the generated class by the
engine.
.- The last, but not least, issue is that after fixing all those
problems,
now I've stumbled with a runtime ClassCastException, and as it's
generated
inside SUN's code so I have no way of finding out why. My class
implements
HttpJspPage so it shouldn't give me such an exception. Could it be
caused by the APache JServ using JSDK2.0 instead of JSDK2.1? Do
Javasoft's JSP engine just accept their own classes? Should I forget
about the extend directive until another release? Is anybody using this
directive with Apache now?

So my overall question is: Is JavaSoft's engine not compliant with the
spec or is the spec not updated, as it happened with the "imports"
directive? In the latter case, is there any place from where we can get
an updated
specification?

Comments are welcomed and really appreciated,
Thanks in advance,
Dan