From: Rene Stone [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 9:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [jug-discussion] Answers to FOP questions

Hi Everyone,
I hope you enjoyed the talk on FOP as much as I did in sharing my
experiences.  Since there were a lot of questions I couldn't answer at
the meeting (not a very good expert, am I?), I've done some research
this morning and have answered as best I can, all that I could remember.
 If I left any out, it wasn't intentional.  Just post on the list and I
can try to find the answers.

Thanks for being such a good audience.
Rene

1. Can you have an image as a background with formatting objects?
Yes, there is a background-image property.  For details, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xsl-20011015/slice7.html#background-image

2. What versions of Apache tools come with FOP?
xerces - 2.0.1
xalan - 2.3.1
avalon - not sure.  Jar file has 3/15/2002 date in the file name
batik - 1.5 beta 2
xml apis - 1.0 beta 2

3. Is the Driver class threaded?
The Driver class looks like it is enabled for threading, but is not itself
threaded (ie, it does not extend Thread or implement Runnable.  However,
some
of the methods ARE synchronized (such as run and the various render
methods).
So you should be able to put calls to the Driver in multiple threads and be
considered thread-safe, but this may not be guaranteed if they haven't
implemented this functionality entirely.

4. Can you create bar codes with formatting objects?
Yes.  I found the answer in the FAQ.  See
http://www.owal.co.uk/cgi-bin/fopfaq.cgi#__929
for details

5. Can you pass in a DOM tree in memory to FOP (instead of an XML file)?
The InputHandler class that they've defined that work with XSL requires a
File object for the xml file.  However, I did find this in the FAQ that
would
work so that you don't have to make an explicit XML file, as long as you are
not doing XSL.  For my application, I needed the XML file to be written out
anyway, plus I was using XSL, but for everyone's information, here's
what the
FAQ says:

How do I use a DOM Parser with FOP?

* If you don't have an XSL stage to your use of FOP you might have a FO
template file which you load in, and then change slightly before feeding
it to FOP.  I did this for some chart printouts.  I only needed to change
the image URL and some numbers each time.

What I previously did was to load up the (almost) FO file with a DOM
parser and feed the DOM object to FOP.  To get this working lately we had
to take the DOM object, serialise it to an XML file in memory, and then
use a SAX Parser on that serialised XML.  The SAX Parser is then fed to
FOP.

Note: The render method that this FAQ is talking about is the one I used
in my
example application and takes a SAX parser as input (the XMLReader class).
The Driver class also has a render method that takes a DOM Document
class, so
I think you can do this even more directly than described above.  I think
this FAQ answer may be a little old.  But if you're using XSL, you can't use
the render method that takes the DOM Document class, since that's the only
input, so it expects this DOM Document to be in the fo format.

6. What tools exist for creating/editing XML files?
Here's some I found in an XML reference book and some that I know of from
experience.  I can't really recommend any of them because I haven't needed
to edit a lot of XML files.  Maybe someone else on the list can recommend
ones that they've used?

XMetal by SoftQuad
XML Spy by Icon Software
XML Instance by Extensibility
JEdit
JDeveloper by Oracle
SlickEdit Version 7 by MicroEdge

7. What does the PDF file from the application look like if it's more
than 1
page?
I've attached a PDF file that I created to be more than 1 page.  It did a
reasonable job of showing the boxes on the next page.  And--I did nothing
explicit for pagination, although there is stuff you can specify to
control it
better.