Once you learn Python... why on gods green earth would you want to suffer
through Perl.

just kidding....  (Good thing Ron Tapia does not subscribe to this list)

-----Original Message-----
From: Warner Onstine [mailto:warner@;warneronstine.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 12:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [jug-discussion] interesting thoughts - publish to website?

On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 11:45 AM, Tim Colson wrote:

>> In short all of these would be good to put on the site.
> :-) I don't believe I've ever gotten positive feedback so quickly.
> <grin>
>
>> Currently I'm hosting it on my personal server (a g3 laptop running OS
> X).
>> I prefer java solutions (I don't like downloading tons of perl files
>> just run one program, but that's probably just my aversion to perl
> ;-).
>
> Heh heh... I'm a java guy these days too of course, but I was a Perl
> hack for a long long time. I even have OO Perl scripts, it's not such a
> bad tool to have around. :-)

Too many languages, not enough time. Currently I would like to learn
Python and Perl (in that order ;-).

>> If there's something else that is easy to install and setup
>> then I have no problem with it.
> Twiki took about 10 minutes to install on my linux box, but a few hours
> on Solaris. Dunno about OSX as I don't have access to a box with it. I
> haven't tried MoveableType or RollerWeblogger yet, so I can't comment.

Currently a lot of discussion about Twiki going on on the osafoundation
lists, I'll keep you posted.

> Roller is a Tomcat/servlet/MySQL/Velocity based app... but it appears
> be geared toward a single author pub system - not multi-user. :-(

Besides that it is JDK 1.4 only and a final release for that hasn't
happened on OS X. I don't want to install it on the server (for fear of
causing unforseen problems with my other apps running there).

> I think the multi-user need is probably a deal-breaker.

I agree.

> MoveableType looks multi-author aware... so I'll try installing that on
> the linux box in the next week or so, and I can give an update and
> discuss a bit more in person at the Nov meeting.

 From what I can tell yes. Several people whom I trust are using it.

-warner