Whoa, awesome. Thanks for posting that. I've been curious for a long time
why Swing is so unusable, and why IBM doesn't show off SWT more. It's great
to hear more of the story.

Sun's "Java Platform Performance" book talks a little about Swing's
performance issues. The author was on the team that tried to improve the
performance, and he seems to think the root cause of the slowness is an
overly abstracted (amateurish) class hierachy. Among other things, this
results in masses of temporary objects that are churned by the Swing API,
something like a dozen temporary objects are created for each cell of a
JTable on every repaint.

Don't you guys think that if it weren't for the Swing mess, Java would be
the new Visual Basic, and C#/.NET would be pure hype that does nothing new?
In retrospect, I think the "Microsoft Java Extensions" were a good idea: you
could write pretty UI's in Java. Instead of admitting that there was a real
need for this, Sun went to court and never offered something competitive.
Now two or three years later C# and .NET appear, looking surprisingly like
Java with Microsoft Extensions, and this hole is filled. I'm glad, I hate
MFC and VB, and like being able to write Windows applications in a pretty
garbage collected language that has a new and thoughtful API. But I wish it
could be Java instead, so I could work on an iMac and not feel like a
sellout to the man.