Well it looks like I will be learning .NET for various projects + it is good to know thy enemy ;-). I will be using Visual Studio .NET and will be looking at C# and J# (and probably VB.NET, uggh, won't that language die ;-). So, I was quite pleased to see that Portable.NET was released (maybe I can get it to compile and run on my OS X boxen).

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/23/2214215&mode=thread&tid=156
http://www.dotgnu.org/ - the dotgnu project
http://www.southern-storm.com.au/portable_net.html - Portable.NET

I am curious if anyone else has started learning .NET:
What are the pitfalls?
What are the neat parts?
How does it compare with Java and it's J2EE architecture (very curious how it compares with the Servlet Container and sandbox)?

-warner