I'm looking for a tool but I'm not even sure what it might be called.  What
I'd like to do, for example, is to be able to find all the places where a
cast is performed in Java source code.

What I picture is a tool that would parse source code and mark it up in
some specified way, perhaps with XML.  If I'm interested in casts, a
statement like

        y = (X)x;

might come through as

Other examples: mark up method bodies, mark up locals, mark up array
initializers.

Does anybody know of anything like this?