Ahh, almost forgot. While not a framework, more of a specification:

http://internet.conveyor.com/RESTwiki/moin.cgi/FrontPage

I couldn't find a java implementation, but it shouldn't be that difficult ;-).

-warner

On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, at 09:24 PM, Thomas Hicks wrote:

Thanks, Tim....this is the kind of thing I
had in mind.

I was actually surprised at the lack of
reaction to the question. I sorta' expected
a bunch of responses like "why aren't
you using <EJBs (or other favorite technology)>?"

It still seems to me like there is a class
of applications that would motivate this
kind of framework: simple GET/POST
based queries or commands, with just
a few simple arguments, where the data
returned is textual. But, some of the
common infrastructure (storage, authentication
authorization, resource synchronization)
would be handled by the framework.

-tom

At 06:24 AM 11/11/2003, you wrote:
Thomas wrote:
> Does anyone know of a framework which
> would support the use of servlets which
> are accessed by multiple network clients
> without any use of web pages (HTML)
> what-so-ever?

I don't. Err, I didn't. Well, I still don't... but I just ran across a
link that sounds like a "maybe this could fit".

http://www.japisoft.com/jservices/index.html

I started reading the documentation and it starts out sounding NOT like
a good fit, but there are pieces/words/phrases that make me think
'maybe'.

Figured it was worth at least passing along if nothing else. :-)

Cheers,
Timo

JServices 1.0
Old project name : JASon

JServices is a framework for standalone java applications. JServices
reduces development time by controlling your service (including logs,
remote access, properties, alerts...).

* Scheduler/Multi-threaded mode
* Mail notification on error
* Log with several levels and stack trace information
* Embedded services with XML and the .JAS format
* Rich API for building or extending services
* Load balancing by threads / processes
* Extended thread support
* Replace as you need any core part
* Simple properties definition with XML-RPC
* Framework for Web usage
* Remote control for your service (command line or swing interface)
* Persistence state with XML
* Service scoring for controlling activities