We've had some discussion of this up here on the Seattle JUG, too. Sounds good to me - Sun would still own the Java trademark, but the Linux distros would be able to include it and developers would be able to experiment with language changes and such (as long as they didn't call their tweaked version "Java"). For a contrary view (and other interesting material), see our Charles Ditzel's blog at http://cld.blog-city.com

BTW, being there for the meeting Rob spoke at last year ended up saving me $100. He said then that they'd dropped the fee for individual members of the JCP, so when I got a call asking me to cough up for another year I just referred the accounting people to him. Didn't quite pay for the trip, but it helped! ;-)

- Dennis

Warner Onstine wrote:

Hey guys,
Looks like we may have a livelier discussion on the JCP with Rob than I thought ;-).

Check out the second page, where it mentions the illustrious Rob Gingell ;-).

-warner