I have heard rumors that j21.5 offers a way to do transparent heavyweight
components.  Any one know anything about this?

As the rumor mill would have it, they have come up with a convenient way to
seize the desktop, monitor changes, and pass mouse movements and keystrokes,
and then you replace heavyweight components with lightweight counterparts so
it "looks" like you have transparent windows to the user.  I have tried to do
similar things using windows and robots but the flicker is nasty and I have
problems in passing keystrokes to underlying applications (applications that
are literally covered by your app).