Every once in a while I do a headcount of the programming language books in
bookstores.  Here's what I got tonight at the B&N on Broadway:

Java     75
C++      62
PHP      51
C#       38
C        19
VB.NET   19
Perl     18
VB6      13
Python    8

If I'm going to count PHP I suppose I should count ASP.NET and Javascript,
too but tonight I didn't.

Here are tonight's totals for Borders on Broadway:

Java    137
C++      87
PHP      36
C#       29
C        27
Perl     26
VB.NET   24
VB6      17
Python    9

I've found that the relative rankings have stayed relatively stable for the
last couple of years -- Java's #1; C++ is #2; C#, the VBs, and Perl are in
the middle.  PHP seems to be coming on strong -- a count last May showed
only 13 at B&N.

A note on my counting: I do some "lumping", such as counting books on
Eclipse, Struts, and Hibernate as "Java" books.  Also, I count volumes, not
titles -- five copies of the same title counts as five books.

In other news, I was appalled to find 700+ page book titled "Beginning
Regular Expressions".