> At least I can spell your name correctly :))
Heh heh, well, mine -is- easier to spell of course. <grin>
Sorry about that. :-)

> This beautiful blog entry sums up my take on readability quite a bit:
>      <http://onestepback.org/index.cgi/Tech/Ruby/LineNoise.rdoc>
Hmm... readable means more than percentage of squiggly chars to me. Perl
gets more and less readable the more or less I work with it over the
last 2-3 months. Recent experience with any lang taints my perspective
slightly.

Although "weird" idiomatic things in Perl that I know about an
understand like $_ and $self->bless() --always-- look funny to me.
<grin>

> So in this particular case, the readability is not much different.
> Ruby and Perl have a lot of commonalities - I just find Ruby much
> more pleasing to the eye personally.  And I wouldn't hesitate to
> recommend a simple Ruby script to someone over a Perl one.  Flame on!

That commonality is another reason why it's hard for me to unbiasedly
give somebody advice on what to use. When I look at Ruby, I see things
that are perl-esque and therefore familiar like the "unless" and the if
clause at the end of a line instead of the forefront like java expects.

It's hard, actually impossible, to not have my background cloud my
perception of "easy to read".

Dave Thomas said so many times in his talk about how "Ruby just makes
more sense." I wanted to scream because ruby and perl would both lose to
"english" if I gave them to my Mom (who hasn't written a book on Ruby,
and lived with it for the past two years) and asked her which was more
"readable".

Let me turn the question on it's side a bit... assume your main
experience is with Java -- then what solution would that person likely
grok quicker and be able to do what EriK and I (both "Recovering" Perl
Users) have shown in ruby/perl? My guess is that -both- of our solutions
would be strange to somebody who hasn't ever used a perl/ruby
interpreter.

Timo