PRE:  Over the past two years, the University of Arizona and several
other higher-education institutions have been involved in a project
known as Kuali Financial Systems.  The goal is to produce a Enterprise
Financial System, built by higher-ed, and for higher-ed, available as
community source (see below for license details).

This is the phase 1 release, and we have another 1-2 years to do the
phase 2 modules.

A special thanks to Warner Onstine and Leo Przybylski, who along with
myself have comprised the UA development contribution to the project.

---------------------------------

This past weekend, on Saturday, 14 October, 2006, the official phase-1
release of Kuali Financial Systems (KFS) was made available to the
world.

We've been working on this for the last two years, with a number of
other higher-ed institutions and one commercial organization.

The University of Arizona developers involved in this are myself, Leo
Przybylski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, and Warner Onstine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

I'd like to invite you to read more about this project at the Kuali.org
website:

http://www.kuali.org/

Note that this website now encompasses the full umbrella of
Kuali-branded projects.  What we released today was the KFS (Financials)
and a version of KEW (Kuali Enterprise Workflow) for the Financials.

You can jump right to the Financials portion of the website here:

http://www.kuali.org/communities/kfs/

Further, for those of you interested in the technical aspects of this
project, you can jump right to the download (binaries, source, or both)
here:

http://www.kuali.org/resources/kfs1-0.shtml

This project was built as a web application running in Tomcat, and using
a number of open-source frameworks and libraries (Spring, Struts, OJB,
lots of Apache stuff, others).

The project is released under an Educational Community License
(BSD-style license):

https://test.kuali.org/confluence/display/KULDOC/The+Kuali+Foundation+EC

which is an OSI approved open-source license:

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/ecl1.php

I encourage anyone who has an interest to browse the websites, download
the app, and play with it.  If you have questions of any sort about
this, please feel free to email them to me, and I'll be delighted to
answer them.

Thanks,

andrew

Andrew Hollamon