Nick L. started doing that at eBlox before he left. I think it is a great idea. There are people who seem wonderful during an interview but can't code to save their lives. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chad Woolley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <jug-discussion@tucson-jug.org>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: [jug-discussion] professional degree programs

Man I haven't seen this many big responses on the list in a long time :)

My .02 - many of the smartest developers I've worked with in recent
years have had non-tech degrees like English, Sociology, etc.

On a related note:  IMHO, quality companies who "get it" with regards
to quality programmers don't care too much about degrees if you have
street cred.  For example, my company's interview process involves
pair-programming with the CEO technical lead, and pairing on real-live
projects.  I think suggesting this approach to potential employees is
a great way to distinguish yourself, and find out a lot about the
company in the process.

-- Chad