Here's the latest performance numbers on JRuby:

http://antoniocangiano.com/2008/12/09/the-great-ruby-shootout-december-2008/

Summary - JRuby is doing very well; came in second after Ruby 1.9; and
compatibility is good and getting better all the time.

Ok, troll time:

My opinion - definitely try JRuby over Groovy.  You get all the
benefits of the Java ecosystem: native calls to java libraries, JVM
execution, JIT compilation, packaging, war/ear-based deployment, etc,
etc.  Most importantly, however, you get a language that was designed
to "make people happy".  Most Rubyists - especially those with
experience in other languages - agree it achieves this goal well.

As for Groovy, I still say it is an attempt to make a static language
(Java) appear dynamic.  They've done a decent job, but when you really
compare it to using native Ruby, the warts and sharp edges poke
through.

The only argument I see in favor of Groovy is integration with the
Java ecosystem, which JRuby effectively negates.  Conversely, all
language or syntax preference or prejudice aside, the Ruby ecosystem
is also very rich (rubygems and github), and you cannot take advantage
of this with Groovy.  Why not be able to choose from the best of both
worlds?

Java is dead, long live the JVM.  JRuby FTW in the enterprise.

-- Chad