It was mentioned in the previous thread that this is not a web app.

As for JRuby vs. pure Ruby.  However, this is the JUG list, and the
question on JRuby performance was my chance to be a troll with a
point, especially since there's been Groovy vs. Ruby debates on here
before ;)

Depending on the target deployment environment (windows?  lots of
users?  Intranet?) JRuby might still be a better choice, since the JVM
is ubiquitous (and native Ruby on Windows still sucks).

-- Chad

PS: Don't forget the JOrganic JJelly with a side of JJuice...