I agree with Nick.

GAEJ/Grails/GWT

I'd want GWT on the frontend and GAEJ/Grails on the backend. I would use
JPA/JDO talking to GAEJ datastore on the backend which I could port to
another datastore if I needed.

This is very nascent and I have not deployed an real world app yet. But if I
was working on a green field app. This would be something I would consider.

I am working on an App that we are considering porting to GWT (it is
currently a SpringMVC/Ajax web app). I plan on writing a prototype graphing
package to show what is possible with GWT.

I am writing a series of articles on Google App Engine for Java for IBM. I
love the idea of it. GWT on the front end makes a lot of sense to me. I
prefer programming in Java and like the open nature of GWT (third party OS
components seem to abound).

The Groovy/Grails guy just added support for Grails running on GAEJ so if I
could put that into the mix even better.

If only I could write GWT code in Groovy then I would be in complete
Nirvana.