I've certainly brought up in IRC conversations that all of the CLI API
stuff that required creating a new API is not compatible with old versions.
I personally like having 1.18 CLI be able to talk to 1.16 server. I've
personally accepted the pain in the 1.X cycles on the premise that if we
can get CLI API then we can use that for compatibility support.
My personal mandate is for the 2.X series. A 2.X client should be able to
do whatever it needs to against a 2.Y server for any values of X and Y.

If we want to get a feeling for what it is like to write fallback code in
1.18 we could do some of that now. But today fallback is going to look like
"try the X API, fall back to direct DB access". In 2.x it will be "try new
API fallback to old API", so they arent *that* close.

I know William and I are well aware that 1.18 cli wont work with a 1.16
server (and most likely the reverse is true).
Agent compatibility is actually easy at this point because we have that all
in the API already. CLI compat is something we've explicitly skipped.

I would  love to support it and will certainly require it post 2.0. Is it
worth spending the time now?

John
=:->