On 14-05-27 02:55 AM, John Meinel wrote:
> I just proposed this branch:
> http://code.launchpad.net/~jameinel/juju-core/login-returns-env-tag/+merge/221021
>
>  This will make it so that we end up caching the environment UUID
> into our ENV.jenv file, and passing it up when we try to connect,
> and having it validated to match the running environment.
>
> I believe CI uses some infrastructure to avoid having Juju
> automatically generate a bunch of the fields in .jenv files (CACert
> and control-bucket come to mind). Environment UUID is going to be
> one of those things that gets generated during bootstrap (it always
> has been uniquely generated, we just never actually tracked it
> before).

Thanks for the heads-up.  I don't think this will be a problem for us.

Basically, we're taking the cloud-city environments.yaml and writing a
temporary copy, with a few values (agent-version, bootstrap-host)
updated at runtime.

When .jenvs were introduced, we started copying everything from the
.jenv into the environments.yaml, but now we just pass .jenvs around.
 We try to keep our environments.yaml minimal now, so we no longer
have ca-cert, and we keep admin-secret + control-bucket only for
Canonistack, where their removal may have broken our accounts.

> Some of this is moving us toward multi-environment state servers,
> where we can tell what environment you want access to from your
> Login request. And some of this is a general desire that we've had
> that when you run a command you know that you're actually
> connecting to the environment you thought you were. And the
> official descriptor for an environment is its internal UUID.

+1

> However, this would mean that if you bootstrap, and have a .jenv
> file, then someone out-of-band destroys that environment and
> bootstraps it again, you'll now refuse to operate with this new
> environment that no longer matches the old one.

That is already true (due to certs and other values), and we would be
upset with anyone who re-bootstrapped without sharing the resulting .jenv.

Aaron