I've gotten a bit closer to figuring out what the deal is. Even on the CI
machine, local provider works with HA enabled, but only if you use the EBS
storage. If you use that machine's ephemeral disk (as your jenkins setup
does), then mongo is not happy. The fact that it's running Precise has
nothing to do with it. I can reproduce it on Trusty.

If anyone wants to look into this issue, then to reproduce you'll need to:
- create an m2.xlarge (running Trusty 64-bit)
- build juju from source, with "shouldEnableHA" hacked to always return
true and transfer to the machine
- sudo apt-get install juju-local
- juju init
- sudo mkdir -m 777 /mnt/local
- modify the local env in ~/.juju/environments.yaml, setting
root-dir=/mnt/local
- bootstrap and watch it fall in a heap