On 16 September 2014 09:22, Jonathan Aquilina <jaquil...@eagleeyet.net> wrote:
> If i am not mistaken if you have multiple commits in a branch git has
> something built in called git squash. This obviously eliminates the 5 step
> process into one merge and one push.

I don't see that command. Are you thinking of the "squash"
functionality of rebase -i?

FWIW, I never run those five steps in sequence together.
Usually I just get to a situation where I know that I have all tests
passing and I'm up to date with master (for example I've done a merge
some time ago, probably before fixing a bunch of tests).

Then it's just:

$ git reset upstream/master
$ git commit -am 'my commit message'

which is usually quicker than running rebase -i, and much
quicker if the rebase replay leads to conflicts.

  cheers,
    rog.