On 23 September 2014 13:23, Dimiter Naydenov
<dimiter.nayde...@canonical.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I noticed a recent change in juju/juju bumping the revision of a
> sub-repo (in this case "juju/charms"), which should be fine if the
> sub-repo wasn't imported with a versioned path
> ("github.com/juju/charm.v3"). The commit in question is:
> https://github.com/juju/juju/commit/7694614984932598535639e09129820f15b9d58d
>
> The problem is with gopkg.in/juju/charm.v3 specifically, as there are
> a few other cases of bumping the sub-repo revision in dependencies.tsv
> and not issuing a new version:
> https://github.com/juju/juju/commit/7694614984932598535639e09129820f15b9d58d
> https://github.com/juju/juju/commit/c35c4dfb19544667225a3e4b5141c85ccbc011bd
>
> In fact there is a v4 branch: https://github.com/juju/charm/compare/v4
> which is already 3 commits ahead of v3, but juju-core still uses v3.
>
> My point is, we need to discuss and define a policy how to handle
> dependencies with versioned import paths. From a user's perspective,
> importing "gopkg.in/juju/charm.v3" should (AIUI) *always* pull the
> same source and you can rely on it being stable and not need to update
> it until you need something from v3. For all other cases
> (non-versioned paths) we use godeps with handles it nicely, without
> claiming to provide stable versions.

That's not quite how it works. For versioned import paths, the version
is about the API, not the exact implementation. It's entirely
OK to add new (backwardly compatible) features to a package that
has a versioned import path (see "When to change the version" in
http://gopkg.in for details on this).

We use godeps to guarantee stable builds. That means that
even in the presence of versioned import paths, we still want
to pin the dependencies for testing purposes, so that we
get reproducible tests and builds.

Thus godeps and use of gopkg.in are orthogonal, and I think
that the commits you mention look fine to me.

  cheers,
    rog.