On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Ian Booth <ian.bo...@canonical.com> wrote:

> On 03/12/14 13:34, Tim Penhey wrote:
> > Hello there reviewers,
> >
> > I have a number of concerns around reviews that I need to say.
> >
> > Firstly, as an on call reviewer, you only need to look at the reviews
> > that have not yet been looked at.  If you ask for changes on a branch as
> > a reviewer, you have a responsibility to respond to the developer when
> > they make said changes or they ask for clarification.
> >

> +1
> I know sometimes I forget to go back the next day and look at subsequent
> changes, hence....
>

> > As a developer it is your responsibility to get your branch landed.
> > Don't just throw it over the review fence and think you are done.
> >

> ... sometimes the developer needs to poke the reviewer and remind them to
> finish
> the review :-)

Agree with prodding for PTAL. It doesn't make sense to push the burden onto
everyone else.

It seems reasonable to expect a branch with *no* reviews to receive them
quickly - within a day or two, unless there is a glut of unreviewed
branches.
If you see a branch that hasn't been reviewed, please leave a comment about
*why* you're not reviewing it (e.g. the branch is too big, is doing too
much at once, etc.)

> Please be pragmatic when using the errors library. It doesn't make sense
> > to have it on absolutely every error return. It can be helpful, but it
> > isn't a requirement to be everywhere. As a developer, consider
> > annotating errors when it makes sense and tracing where appropriate. As
> > a reviewer, please don't expect it everywhere.
> >

> +1
> Let's be pragmatic and consider the situation. eg I would not expect trace
> to be
> required when returning an error at a layer boundary, but deep down inside
> some
> complex function, yes. With annotate, it may not be needed it an immediate
> caller annotates the error for example. So please use good judgement
> rather than
> a blanket insistence that trace and annotate be used everywhere.

Yes. Otherwise we end up with "could not do x: could not do x: could not do
x: could not do x: x could not be done because reasons".

Add enough information so that we can diagnose where errors came from to
diagnose the root cause. Err on the side of adding more information than
less, but be thoughtful about it: too much information will obscure things.

Generally: if you're making a suggestion in a review, base that suggestion
on the outcome and not on some arbitrary rule.