Dimiter,

Thanks for looking into this. That sounds like an awesome solution!

~James

> Team,
>
> From what I can gather, Juju either allows or disallows you to bootstrap
> to a specific network/subnet dependent on whether or not the provider
> supports a network space bootstrap constraint. The EC2 provider just so
> happens to be one of the providers which doesn't support controller
> placement on bootstrap. This is a massive problem for me, seeing as I
> have many subnets for things other than controller nodes. I just can't
> seem to get the controller to land in a subnet (seems to be chosen at
> some sort of random) that doesn't already have other things in it that I
> don't want around my controller. To facilitate bootstrap network
> constraints on the EC2 provider, I think a 'network' constraint is
> needed, along with some filtering of the provided 'network' constraint
> value to ensure the subnet exists, is in the current region and current
> vpc - seems like it might do the trick until we have a flat model for
> controller placement that works across all providers.
>
> Thoughts?

Hey James,

Sorry for the late reply! The EC2 provider does not support the tags=
constraint, and it has limited support for the spaces= constraint - but
not for the controller, as at bootstrap time no spaces are yet defined.
So unfortunately you can't yet explicitly specify where a controller
instance will end up on.

To allow explicit placement for EC2 instances, including Juju
controllers, we could (trivially) implement support for `--to
subnet=<CIDR>` placement (like the existing - and supported - `--to
zone=<name>`).

Then you could do `juju bootstrap ... --to subnet=172.31.5.0/24`
<http://172.31.5.0/24%60> (with
or without --config vpc-id=vpc-xyz) to achieve what you want.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Dimiter