So I think it is a fair point that if you did:
  juju deploy application --constraits mem=4GB
and then did something like:
  juju add-unit application --to lxd:XXX

That those constraints would end up interpreted differently. And also that:
  juju add-unit application --to YYY
would similarly just ignore the constraints.

That said, Juju does *not* do scheduling today, aside from explicit
placement, and put-on-another-machine. And providing people with the
functionality so that they have a way to express *something* about
constraining their containers instead of doing a "juju deploy" and then
having to do a "juju run" and know all the details of how to apply that.

It may be perfectly fine for someone to do "juju add-unit -n 8 --to 5
--constraints 2GB" even though they only have 8GB on that machine. As their
expectation is that any one container might try to peak at 2GB, but the
expected steady state is <1GB and they just don't want runaway allocation
in one container to starve all the others.

I know we're also mulling over how we might propose syntax that would let
you declare "this must have direct underlay access" vs "it's ok if this is
behind NAT", if we can find something nice there it might also work for
memory, etc.

John
=:->