On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 12:36 PM, John Meinel <j...@arbash-meinel.com> wrote:

> I'll also note that Tim had some good ideas about how to change the Local
> provider to be more consistent with other providers. (Essentially creating
> a separate process that could implement a "Remote Provider" sort of
> interface.) That could allow bringing up more 'pluggable' providers that
> just talk the same language as the 'local' one would.
> I personally would prefer if we used a command line interface (call this
> process with these arguments to start an instance), even if the local one
> would use the command line to make RPC/socket calls to another process. (If
> you think about it, all of them are just sending requests to some other
> long-lived process over a socket, but I'd rather not have to run a full
> service for every system we want to interact with.)
> John
> =:->

A bit tangential now, but...

Plugin-style was originally how I thought it would best work, but that
requires distribution with both jujud *and* the juju CLI. That sounds like
a nightmare to me. OTOH, having a remote service means you can just point
the CLI and jujud at that remote service with nothing to distribute. It
does mean having a service, which brings its own set of issues.

Of course, the two approaches are not mutually exclusive. As you say, you
could easily provide a plugin that talks to a remote service.