I would generally think to model this as part of the relation data. Since
you want the individual units of your charm to connect to different units
of Mongo, then it sounds like you want a peer relation in your charm, and
each unit could then report what unit of mongo it is connecting to on the
peer relation, and the others could try to avoid connecting to the mongo
that a peer is connected on.

John
=:->